Savor the Moment

So, I guess it's time that I explain the whole Sew Slowist thing. It obviously a play on words, meant to be the Slow Sewist. As in sloooooooooooow. I'd rather say that everything I do is done with intent. ;) You could just say that the fact that it took me almost a decade to start sewing for myself puts me in the slow category. In all honesty, however, it's so much more than that. And what good is a blog if not an opportunity to come clean with all your warts and imperfections?

Imperfections... that's a great segway to admit that I'm actually something of a perfectionist. When I do something, it is not only done with intent but with the most critical of eyes. (I'm the typical woman who, when given a compliment, proceeds to point out all of the failings. <sigh>) I've spent many years wishing I were less of a perfectionist -- but the reality is that I am who I am, and today I'm okay with that. Being a perfectionist is, nevertheless, one reason I'm a slow sewist.

Another reason is that I have far too many interests. Squirrel! Honestly, our world offers so many cool things to do, and I want to do them all. Show me a skill I have yet to master, or a new challenge, and I'm first in line to sign up. Or, rather, I used to be. I'm getting much better in my older current years to second-think my knee-jerk impulse to sign up. And that's mostly because I've come to a point where I've been able to make a distinct separation between the things I love to do, and the things I like to do. For example, I love to sew (see my earlier posts); I love miniatures (evidence below); I love my dogs (also below); to bake and make pies (below)... and my family trumps them all (I would post pictures but our kids have a non-negotiable no social media policy. <double-sigh> Just trust me that I have the most adorable, engaging grandchildren ever. And today, hands down, my primary goal in life is to be my best Gran.) Add to the above that I'm a full-time technical writer for a fast-paced, state-of-the-art cyber security software company, who commutes over an hour each way when I go in to the office and, well, there's just not a whole lot of time left over, even for those things I love to do. So the second reason I'm a slow sewist is time, and priorities.

After I've dealt with my perfectionism, my priorities, and the time available for sewing, I'm still a slow sewist. And this, the last reason, is honestly the one that impacts my sewing the most. I mean, come on -- we've all got a certain measure of perfectionism in us, and we all have pressures of time and competing priorities. Why am I so different from everyone else? I'll try to explain as best I can...

For a number of personal reasons, I live my life in the moment. I've mastered the skill of identifying what makes me happy in this moment... and what does not. Within my own life, with the things that impact only me, I simply do not create arbitrary deadlines or milestones. I just enjoy the moment. I enjoy the process. The doing. And when the doing is something that makes me so very happy, I make it last. So what if the garment/bag/quilt/etc. isn't finished today/tomorrow/next week/next month/next year? Who does it impact? No one but me. (Oops... no one but me, and my poor husband and kids who will be tasked with dismantling all of my shit lovingly gathered materials, and half- and unfinished projects, when I am either addle-minded or dead. My most sincerest sympathies to them. I do not envy them that task.) I have let go the clock. If I had planned to sew this morning, but it's a beautiful day and the coffee is still hot, I am just as likely to fill a cup, gather the dogs for a walk, find a rock or a stump to sit on, and soak it all in. Pure happiness. When I received my Ginger Jeans denim kit over a month ago, I pre-washed/dried the denim, and took my time to press it (it's gorgeous by the way!). Over a few evenings, I laid out, traced, cut, and taped the patterns for both the jeans, and the Grainline Studio Archer button-up shirt. And I loved every moment of it. Last week, I set out my cutting mat, the denim, my rotary cutter, and six cans of tuna (aka fabric weights). I have walked past it several times a day now for a week. No, I am not intimidated. No, I am not scared. No, I am not waiting for a block of time when I can cut it all in one go. Each time I pass the table with my Ginger Jeans supplies ready to go, I smile -- enjoying the anticipation of what is to come. I will start them when I want to. For now, I am savoring the moment.

And so, I am slow...but I am happy.

Christina

Yes, I wove the wicker furniture.
'...there were three on the bed, and the little one said, ...'










Maddie
Fionn
Mickie













Snowmen!
Blueberry-peach...the best!




Comments

  1. I share your passion and habit of sewing slowly, and do so for similar reasons. I love making things, and doing the best possible job on each one. I am more interested in the process, than I am in the finished product. I don't need any clothes. I make them because I love to make things, and I enjoy wearing them. I can see from the snowmen and pies that you like to make lots of things, and approach each task with the same discipline. I admire that, and look forward to reading more of your blog posts. As we are both participating in the RTW Fast, perhaps we will run into each other again, virtually, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann! I love that we share the enjoyment of the 'doing'. Like you, I, too, do not need any more clothes. I do have a fit issue, however, that makes RTW almost impossible for me...which makes me wonder why I took so long to get started. Better late than never! ;)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing your projects and (gorgeous!) fabrics around the house. Partly because I love finding out what amazingly, cool task you're taking on next. And secondly, because it's ashtonishing to watch you in your "process". Your graceful rythmn is akin to poetry. Love you, and this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog by following a reference from a post in Sew Ottawa! (fb group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/568262013516372/) about your green checked shirt, which is lovely, by the way.

    I was so enamoured by your writing. My husband is also a technical writer and I've done a LOT of editing. So much so, that I edit all the time, in my head. I'll definitely sign up for your blog since it'll be a relief to be able to leave the words alone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts