Treasuring Her Past

This is a post that I feel compelled to write. A public service announcement, of sorts.


Every one of us who sews has at least one sewing machine. (I have several, and a coverstitch/serger — don't judge!) We have a fabric stash. (Mine is VERY healthy.) We have collections of thread, rotary cutters, cutting mats, fabric scissors, patterns, measuring tapes, buttons, notions, notions, and even more notions. (I could seriously open a store. You need something? I'm pretty sure I have it!) If you smock, you also have a pleater. (I have 4, and each one is special... each one has its own story.) Where am I going with this? Read on.

We each have our collections. So did those who sewed before us. 

Did you ever think about what happens to the collections of previous generations of sewists? Granted, many have daughters/sons, or granddaughters/sons who carry on the tradition... but what about those who don't? Chances are, those precious collections get loaded into Rubbermaid bins and sold, or thrifted. How do I know this? Because I'm trying to rescue them.

I am a devotee of estate auctions, MaxSold online auctions, and Kijiji. On an almost weekly basis, no matter where you live, these sale venues offer for sale the collections of those who sewed before us. When I browse the items for sale, it simultaneously thrills me that so many special items are available... and breaks my heart. It breaks my heart because these items were special to someone just like us, and they should be again. (My biggest thrill is watching online bidding wars, knowing that someone really, REALLY wants the items.)

Earlier today, I signed off work and headed down Highway 401 to Gananoque, a beautiful little town on the Saint Lawrence river. 

Gananoque, Ontario

My afternoon road trip had a special purpose: meet "Beth" — Elizabeth — named for her previous owner.




Beth is a 221K Singer Featherweight, manufactured in 1946. I won't say what I paid for her, but I will tell you that I paid significantly less than she is worth. Elizabeth took good care of her, and I am honored to carry on, for now. A few minutes of fiddling with her bobbin tension... and just look at this beauty's stitches! And this is just Beth's story...

 

A few months ago, a MaxSold online estate sale in Ottawa advertised (among the hundreds of items listed) a "Smocking pleater, fabric, and other sewing items." I could tell from the few pictures provided that it was a quality pleater, in its original box. The plastic bin that held the pleater was literally overflowing. I made sure that my bid won the pleater (honestly, I had no competition) and, when I got the bin home and unpacked it, I caught my breath. The bin contained perfectly preserved cotton fabric for at least a dozen children's garments, about 60 smocking plates (embroidery patterns) — most of which I did not own, past issues of Australian Smocking and Embroidery (no longer in print), some smocking samplers and, of course, the immaculate Sally Stanley pleater. There were notes tucked inside the fabric pieces, written in the most beautiful script, indicating the child the garment was to be for, along with the size and pattern to be used.

I wonder what happened that she never made those garments. I'll never know... but I love that with my purchase, I was able to respect her, and her collection. Her pleater has been re-homed; the new owner is a lovely young mum who recently learned to smock. I am using many of her fabrics in my smocking classes, and sharing her magazines and smocking plates with my students.

I'm not naive enough to think that all of the items offered for sale are in perfect condition or even that the prices will be reasonable — but in this age of constant pressure to buy "new", online marketplaces and estate auctions can be great options for finding what we need (want?). You live in Vancouver? Toronto? Los Angeles? Boston? Philadelphia? Rochester? There are MaxSold auctions where you live. You're on Facebook? There's a Facebook marketplace near you. Check them out, you'll be amazed at what you will find.

And... maybe one day, the items in my collection continue on with people just like you.




Author's note: I am not affiliated with MaxSold, Facebook, Kijiji, or any other online or brick and mortar store or auction site.


Comments

  1. I love shopping someone elses stash,for me it just has more soul.with each machine I wonder how many events were celebrated,how many weddings and births.....how long did they save to buy this treasured possession.my grandmother told me as a child that 'if you can sew you will always be able to feed your family".sewing feeds my family but also my soul.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean! It's one of the reasons I enjoy estate auctions -- there's so much history wrapped up in the treasures, even if we have no idea what that history is. The history of each item I collect -- and lovingly use in my sewing -- feeds my soul too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts