This is me. And my Clare Coat.

So. You're here. Somehow, you were clicking through the links of amazing, talented sewing bloggers... and then, whoops! You landed on The Sew Slowist's page. What the...? Huh? Who IS this?

Well, I guess I'm a sewist. And I'm slow.
(No, not slow in the intellectual sense. Rather, in the "I've never learned how much time it takes to actually do something...and I've got waaaaay too many interests, and waaaaay too much to do" sense.)

My name is Christina. By day, I write technical documentation for the high tech software industry. Need instructions? I'm your girl. On my own time, I sew. (I also craft miniatures for a dollhouse replica of my childhood home, I bake, I refinish antique furniture, and I spend time with my husband and three (yes, three!) Labrador Retrievers. And when my grandchildren come to play, the world stops so I can drink in every ounce of their beings.) But mostly... I sew. And I love it.

I've been sewing -- mostly quilts and children's clothing -- since I was a teenager, and I got pretty good at it. Prior to last year, however, I had never made a stick of clothing for myself. I guess I just never thought I could.

Fast backward to 2011, I was googling smocking-related topics (I own Wee Wear Smocking) and the search engine returned a link to frogsinabucket.blogspot.ca, the blog by a sewist named Shannon, from Oklahoma. In one particular blog post, Shannon had blogged about a smocked dress she had made for her daughter. The rest of Shannon's blog, however, was all about the garment she had made for herself. For HERSELF. I was mesmerized. To make matters even better, Shannon included a list of all her favorite blogs: MissCeliesPants, Oonabaloona, ErikaB, GingerMakes, AmandasAdventuresInSewing, GorgeousThings, GirlsInTheGarden, Lladybird... with that one mouse click, a whole new world opened up for me.

I spent 2011 through 2017 pretty much creeping, and drooling. And purchasing fabric. And patterns. <sigh> For years, I continued to smock, and teach... and creep, and drool. And build my stash. And dream. And then, last year, something changed. I just finally decided I could. And so I did. My very first me-made garment was the lovely Clare Coat by ClosetCasePatterns. Nothing like aiming high! I followed Heather Lou's sew-along, posted a few questions here and there, and a sewist was born.

Not too shabby for a first effort! More than anything, I want to thank all the sewing bloggers who inspired me for so many years, and ultimately convinced me that I, too, could be a sewist.

In my next post, I just might tell you why I'm slow. ;)

In the photos below, I'm just SO proud of my Clare Coat by Closet Case Patterns. Here are the details:

  • Size L, from Closet Case Patterns
  • Wool coating and lining from Fabricland (Ottawa, Canada)
  • A layer of thinsulate lining (Fabricland) added in the lining for warmth
  • All photographs by Dale 📷

Christina

   
   
   
   

Comments

Popular Posts