Grainline Studio Archer Shirt #1

I titled this post my Grainline Studio Archer Shirt #1  because I will without question be making many, many more! I can't tell you whose Archer Shirt first inspired me to make my own, but all you have to do is search Instagram for #archershirt to see why I wanted to make one. I've wanted a properly-fitted button-up shirt since... well, it seems like forever.

The primary reason I first decided to sew my own garments is that I have a condition called lymphedema, a result of having had lymph nodes removed. Because of this, my left arm is twice the size of my right arm − and too large to fit into most ready-to-wear (retail) woven garments. I long ago gave up wearing woven tops, resorting to wearing only knitted garments − garments with sufficient stretch to accommodate my arm. But oh, how I love a nice cotton shirt!

I am absolutely thrilled with my first Archer Shirt! I made it with some lovely green and navy checked flannel that I purchased last year from one of my favorite fabric shops, Flair with Fabrics. This flannel is soft and supple, and so WARM. It's crazy to be thinking of warmth now, particularly when it's been in the high 80's here for weeks... but it won't be long before the leaves begin to fall and we're thinking of winter again. (That's a Canadian for you, always thinking and talking about the weather!)



How about that pattern matching!! In true Sew Slowist fashion, I took my time with the construction, doing my best to match the plaid as best I could. I don't know if you can see them clearly, but the blue and green mottled buttons that I found in my stash are PERFECT. I love when that happens!



Dale and I were headed down to the seaway this afternoon to take some scenic pictures of my latest creation when we decided to detour and stop in at StoneCropAcres Winery & Vineyard near Morrisburg, Ontario. The owner and winemaker, Norene Hyatt-Gervais, is a friend that I hadn't seen in far too long and, besides − who doesn't enjoy an afternoon spent winetasting?

After a lovely afternoon spent catching up, exploring the tasting room, running into even more old friends, sampling StoneCropAcres' locally-crafted (and excellent!) wines as we basked in the sun on the tasting room's patio (and purchasing some wine to bring home, of course!)...I boldly asked if Dale and I could wander the vineyard and snap a few photos as I modelled my Archer Shirt. I'm so pleased she said yes! If you look closely at the photos, you can actually see the grapes ripening on the vines. 🍇 (StoneCropAcres grows 'cold climate grapes' − their vines have survived our Canadian winters, the coldest of which was -40 degrees centigrade. For those of you who only do Farenheit, that's also -40!)

(Enjoy the vineyard photos and, of course, my modelling. 😂 I'll share my #archershirt notes below.)

Rolled-up cuffs for the win!



It works equally well open.

It fits my left arm!

Love, love, love the topstitching detail.


The Grainline Studio Archer Shirt pattern, instructions, and illustrations are excellent, and ensure a successful sewing experience and outcome. The things I'll do differently on my Archer Shirt #2, #3, #4, and so on, include:

- shortening the sleeve length
I was so excited to start cutting into fabric that I forgot to shorten the pattern sleeve length when I traced it (yes, I'm #teamtrace!). Thus the rolled-up cuffs on #1.

- lengthening the shirt fronts and back
I'm only 5'2", and I thought the finished shirt would be plenty long... however, because I don't tend to tuck in my tops and I love to wear leggings, I'll be adding some length to future versions.

- grading out only the left sleeve
I ended up grading out both sleeves for convenience but, in reality, I only needed to grade out the left sleeve. 

I cannot wait to wear my Archer Shirt #1 this fall! After going more than 10 years without a button-up shirt, I am beyond thrilled to have a well-fitting, attractive, warm shirt that is comfortable to wear.  Thank you, Grainline Studio, for a great shirt! And thank you, StoneCropAcres, for a fantastic afternoon! 

We can't wait to return! 🍷



Comments

  1. You have done an excellent job! It must feel great to have a woven shirt, so congratulations! I have an Archer cut out & waiting to be done in a beautiful peach Egyptian cotton. i am going to do a lace overlay on one side, so I hope it turns out! Great matching of your plaid!! As you say, we Canadians are used to a long winter so need to keep cozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosalind! It really does feel great to have a button-up woven shirt that doesn't pinch my arm. Now I just have to wait for the cooler weather to enjoy it. :) I can't wait to see your Archer! I'm curious about your lace overlay, so please tag me when you share it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts